51 Elgeyo Marakwet Doctors Face The Sack
Elgeyo Marakwet county doctors have been given up to Monday to resume work or face the sack.
Health executive, Thomas Ruto said the county was ready to sack its 51 doctors and place an advertisement for their replacement.
Doctors have been on strike since December 5, when they downed their tools demanding the implementation of a collective bargaining agreement signed in 2013.
A deal brokered by religious leaders early this week was abandoned by both county and national government after the striking doctors refused to call off the strike. The doctors, however, maintained that the government had to sign a recognition agreement and return to work formula, before calling off the strike.
A tough talking President Uhuru Kenyatta said the government will not be blackmailed and said all the incentives that had been given to them, had been withdraw. In a statement read by Council of Governors chairperson Peter Munya, the 47 governors and President Kenyatta said only doctors who have resumed work will get the increment and which will be backdated to January and not July 2016 as had been agreed earlier.
The religious leaders later pulled out of the talks even as parties are expected back to court on Monday.
Kenyatta National Hospital has already sacked 12 doctors and issued warning letters to 48 others. Nairobi government Evans Kidero said Health CEC had issued show-cause letters to 127 doctors.
In Eldoret, Governor Mandago said only 5 doctors had not reported to work at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, the country’s second biggest referral hospital.
In Elgeyo Marakwet, Ruto said the county will follow the same path and sack any doctor who will not have resumed duty.
“There is nothing much we can do other that to subject them to a disciplinary action which includes sacking. People must be ready to work,” Ruto said.
On Tuesday, Elgeyo Marakwet nurses said they will join other nurses in a nationwide strike if a collective bargaining agreement that led to a nurses’ countrywide strike in December will not be signed and implemented by the midnight of Sunday.
Led by Elgeyo Marakwet Kenya National Union of Nurses secretary general Benson Biwott, the nurses said the government has reneged on a return to work formula signed late last year.
Biwott said nurses are demanding a 50 per cent pay rise for basic salary and risk allowances.
Among the demands is a Sh50,000 per year uniform allowance.
“Nurses receive the least amount of Sh7,000 as uniform allowance yet they are the only cadre of health workers who must be on uniform,” he said.
He said that the state paid nursing service allowance in January and later took nurses in circles on the remaining demands.
“Expect no nurse in hospitals by the midnight of March 12 if the treasury and county governments will not have signed the CBA,” Biwott said.